Friday, March 20, 2009

Life under the pastor's desk. part 1



Welcome to part one of many in a series of true stories of how my life took an interesting turn once I graduated high school and entered the real world
.


I had moved from Ohio to Pennsylvania during my junior year of high school in 1995. I was the drummer in a Christian rock band named eden Regained.



After school ended every Friday I drove 4 hours to Ohio to play a gig with the guys. I continued this routine for my junior and senior years of high school. After graduation, I moved back to Ohio to take the band more seriously. After living a few months at the lead singer's house (not pictured above, and actually it was his parents' house). I felt I was starting to wear out my welcome. I didn't see it at the time, but I was eating all of their food, wasting all of their hot water, and not taking any responsibility around the house.

My parents came up with a shocker of an idea and said that since I was putting college on hold to pursue eden Regained as a full-time ministry, I could take my college money that was in my money market account and buy a motor home. That kinda blew my socks off since my parents had preached college, college, college from day one. So, I took my money and bought a 1977 Vogue 32ft motor home. This motor home was soon to be named "The Super Tortoise" because the guys said it was like having our home on our back and we could pick up and move wherever we wanted.



I asked my church pastor if I could park my motor home at the church and live in their driveway. Surprisingly he agreed and told me that I would only have to pay $30.00 per month for electric.

You might be asking yourself why this post is called life under the pastor's desk, but you'll have read my next blog entry to find out why.

0 comments: