Saturday, March 28, 2009

Life under the pastor's desk. part 4

When we weren't on the road in the Super Tortoise on a concert trip, the motor home remained parked in the driveway beside my church's office building. The office building was actually a single level house that the pastor used to live in before it was converted to offices and classrooms. Since I was paying $30.00 for electric the church allowed me to plug my motor home in to their exterior wall so that I wouldn't have to run my generator. For only paying $30.00 a month a got a lot of perks. I was told by the pastor that I could use the bathrooms in the church office to shower, shave, and all other bathroom functions. The pastor also mentioned that I could use the church kitchen whenever I needed to cook something. I kept pretty wierd hours since I was a young bachelor and we often returned home late from concerts so the church staff got used to seeing me stagger into the office half asleep to shower or use the bathroom. The staff got thought it was funny that I would shave my head in the bathroom and come out and ask the youth pastor if I missed any spots.
There were a lot of fun memories of the church office as the youth pastor and I hit it off very well and we liked a lot of the same things like golf, music, and eating. He taught me how to cook different meats, even beef jerky. He and the rest of the office staff thought my food choices were funny. I was a young bachelor and a starving musician and I was trying not to mooch off of Mom and Dad as much as possible so I was very creative with my grocery shopping. I remember when the grocery store ran a special on Kraft mac & cheese for $0.39 per box. I decided to do the right thing and stock up while it was such a bargain. I bought 72 boxes of mac & cheese and I also picked up some packs of white boil-in-bag rice. I usually ate 2 boxes of mac & cheese per day and on occasion I would eat a plain bag of rice with maybe a little butter and salt.
I would say that most memories of living outside of the church office were good, but I could feel some tension building from certain staff members that thought I was not being very responsible with my life and schedule (since I slept til mid-morning).
The Super Tortoise remained parked outside the church office for almost a year. so believe me there are many more stories to come. Stay tuned because we're close to finding out why I call this Life under the pastor's desk.